Thursday 7 May 2009

6th May Wednesday Night Mountain Bike Ride

Tried my first Wednesday Night Mountain Bike Ride last night.

I started from home in Dorking at about five and rode to Westcott along the A25 to warm up. I turned left into Rookery Drive and took the Bridleway up to Coldharbour, there has been a lot of sand put down to counter the effects of the 4 wheel drive vehicles and it may well be worth finding another route up, but it served its purpose. Turning right at Coldharbour I took the track to Leith Hill Tower, taking the wrong line around a tree I had to walk up the last few metres where I saw the first person I'd seen since going off road!

From the tower (I had decided before starting out) to take the Greensand Way to Holmbury (fantastic descent - thank god for disc brakes!!!) and have a look at The Hurtwood area (http://www.hurtwoodcontrol.co.uk/). The Hurtwood is the name given to an area of over 3000 acres of beautiful Surrey heath and woodland embracing Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill, Winterfold, Shere Heath, Farley Heath and part of Blackheath according to the website, I hadn't been before, even living so close. Getting to Holmbury I could see lots of other bikers getting ready from their cars so it looked good. From the Village Hall I just followed the path up hill and then spent some time just riding whatever looked good - and everything did!

Deciding not to go too mad I then got back on the road at Holmbury and headed north to the A25 at Abinger Hammer turning right and then up another bridleway on the left to go up towards Ranmore and home through the Denbies Estate.

A great ride, 2 and a half hours, and do-able even starting at 6.30pm this time of year. Lights may be needed if starting later but if anyone would like to do this ride or even meet at Holmbury one Wednesday, give me a ring.

Steve

PS: I'll be doing another ride next Wednesday, 07973 140092 for details.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete