Monday 1 February 2010

Hell of the Ashdown 31 January 2010



Andy Huddart said:-

Well I finished, I reckon they didn't bother checking some of the roads they sent us out on - they used the published route route rather than the icy route. There were a number of roads completely covered in ice including flat, downhill and uphill. I saw about 10 people go down including two uphill! All the ones I saw go down fell because they panicked and either braked or tried to turn. Some got off and walked and promply fell over, cycling shoes and cleats don't mix with ice. It was sometimes pretty awkward trying to pick your way along the road with people walking on the only bits you could cycle on. Anyway, didn't see anyone with more than bruised ego.

I did this with two of my brothers in law again although didn't see them much, one buggered off in front (he said he passed someone with Clarencourt clothing so I assume that this was Alex?) and I eventually gave up waiting for the other one. Elapsed time for me was 5:39 with cycling time of 5:09, I thought I might do better than this but the conditions didn't help and there were a lot of hills! The route was 67 miles and my computer says 5767 ft of climbing but my routing software (Bikeroutetoaster) gave this as a more like 4500ft, whichever, it was pretty hard including a short(ish!) 25% near the start and the "wall" (which was).

Alex Jalland said:-

I made it around with a cycling time of 5h03 though was walking quite a lot through the ice fields - can't say I was very impressed with the route selection on the day. I got through unscathed though. My Garmin said 4500 foot climbed, but this changed to 4900 when I downloaded it.

Jeremy Martin said:-

Respect to all who did hell. Sorry I whimped out.27 miles and 2 box hills was plenty for me!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment