Monday 5 July 2010

Southern Sportive - Reigate

I entered with some of my friends from the Redhill and rode out to the event from Croydon on a beautiful Sunday morning. I was toying with riding the long distance event but went on the 62 mile route after seeing the weather forecast predict 20-25 mph westerly winds around mid morning which would have made the last 15 miles after climbing Toys Hill really a hard finish! That’s old age for you! But, with my Summer 42 small ring fitted I was ready hit the course.

We started at 08:30 and set off at a cracking pace over the first ten to fifteen miles, making the most of the light following wind and with only a small climb of Cormongers Lane up to the Nutfield ridge. Clocking a 20 mph average just south of Edenbridge, the bunch of around 25 riders split on the climb to the turn to Markbeech at the Queens Head pub with me at the head of affairs. I was set to ride the course with my two friends from the Redhill, Russell and Stuart; riding the flatter sections hard and helping them on the climbs. However, Russell went AWOL somewhere between Markbeech and Hever, and having waited around 5-6 minutes for him I slogged on alone with Stuart having stayed in the bunch.

It is a deceptive course: although the hills are tough with the two major climbs being Chartwell and Tilburstow, the section from Dencross around Hever and Chiddingstone comprised of the type of road that gradually saps one’s strength and makes it difficult to keep the average speed up.

From Four Elms I started to reel riders in, including another Redhill man who thanked me at the finish and apart from the climbs when I dropped them, they all made a magnificent effort to get back on on the flat and hugged my wheel like there was not tomorrow as riding into the westerly wind was incredibly tough! From the top of Tilburstow onwards it was really hard. The climb up through Bletchingly into the wind was harder that the sheltered climb of Tilburstow, and finally back at Redhill I caught up again with Stuart so we finished together with a time of 3-18 at 18.9 mph over the 62.3 miles. Russell evidentially lost contact around Markbeech, missed a turn and ended up on the long course! If I had not waited for him I would have been home as the fast mid-route rider at 19.2 mph!

It was a well organised event though some moaned about the signage, which for me did not matter because the roads used I ride regularly so I knew my way around. I have to say though that my legs did ache after my ride home!

No comments:

Post a Comment